No matter how much you read about Cairo and Egypt, you will never be prepared for what you will experience here.
This is a small list I made up for you, the dos and don’ts of Egypt.
1. I’ve noticed recently that most of the tourists coming to visit stay near the Pyramids. No guys, NO! Yes the Pyramids are A M A Z I N G. But no the area around the Pyramids is not the place you wanna be staying at, it’s pretty far from everything.
My suggestion is for you to stay central, downtown.
2. Do leave tips, it’s much appreciated, everywhere. Tipping generously will get you to places other travelers will not get to see, yes for a little extra money they will take care of you!
3. Do dress modestly, Egypt is largely an Islamic country, even though they tolerate much more than other countries. But you will get looked at etc which is not very pleasant. Don’t wear your crop top while visiting touristic places. Though if you are going out at night in one of the posh places you can wear whatever you feel like without a worry!
4. Excessive public display of affection is looked down upon, don’t make out in the street leave it for your hotel room.
5. Don’t try to cross the road unless you’re very confident, or unless you are following what a local is doing, they will be happy to let you tag along across the road with them! To foreigners, Egyptian drivers are suicidal. To Egyptians, more than a few centimeters between cars is wasted space!
6. Which brings me to my next point, do NOT think of renting a car here unless you are used to this kind of driving (I’ve found out that people in India drive the same way we do).
7. I wouldn’t recommend taking taxis, the bargaining and the prices will be a little crazy. Instead you can use Uber and Careem, they work perfectly fine!
8. Avoid tap water please.. It’s okay to drink it but most tourists get sick from it, I guess they are not used to what we are used to 🙂
9. Do enjoy Egypt as much as you can, after all it is known to be as ‘Om El Donia’ (The Mother of the World)
And by the way.. everything delivers in Egypt at any time of day (food, pharmacies etc…)
If you need information, more tips, please do get in touch with me <3
Photo Credit: @buddhamabsout by Farida Hassaan. Find her on instagram 🙂