Stay safe in South Africa.. First question that comes to mind is: Is South Africa safe? Well from my experience it is, we didn’t encounter any problems at all. But below are some tips on staying safe in South Africa, things to keep in mind.
Here are my top tips to stay safe in South Africa
- Of course the obvious, don’t walk around alone by night; even in a group, this is something that you must avoid.
- Know where you are going. So before you head off make sure you have an idea of where you are going.
- If you want to visit townships, do that with a guide, don’t do it alone.
- Don’t be flashy, meaning don’t walk around with your phone in your hand, wearing diamonds etc.. Try to be as subtle as possible.
- If you are going to rent a car, best tip to stay safe is of course don’t keep belongings in your car; but also lock your doors as soon as you get in.
- If you are not gonna rent a car then I suggest you use Uber. It’s fairly priced and they are very good. Do make sure the plate corresponds on the app before getting in the car.
- Keep your handbag next to you at all times.
Some more tips to stay safe:
- When in the hotel use the safe provided to avoid robberies. It’s very common in South Africa to get robbed in your hotel room of valuables. They work like a mafia, they steal your money, take pictures of your credit cards and sell them later on.
- When taking out money from the ATM, make sure it’s during the day. Also make sure that you are in a busy area, mall.
- As a final tip, use common sense. You wouldn’t go walking alone in a dark alley by night wherever in the world, then don’t do it. You wouldn’t carry hundreds and hundreds of dollars in one go. Just common sense.
If you have any questions regarding South Africa, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me through the website, or on Instagram.
For a 10 day itinerary in South Africa check out this article.